Thakkolam temple city Lions Club with an initial membership of twenty-two was started in June 2008 and the same was certified and charted in November 2008. The Club in the town was started at the initiate of Mr S. NAGARAJAN MBA Chairman, Thakkolam Town Panchayat, MJF Lion R. Haridoss, Vice District Governor and MJF Lion S.C.S. Mayuranathan Chairman, Panapakkam Town Panchayat. The club was and continues to render the following services to the town.
Free Eye Camp
* Free eye camp with the association of Sankara Nethralaya is held every month on fourth Sunday. Eye-surgery was done in respect of more than 150 beneficiaries so far. Free eye check-ups are done regularly in the Government Boys and Girls Higher Secondary schools and for those who require the spectacles the same are given free of cost.
Women's day celebration
* International Women's day is celebrated every year on eighth March. In this day various competitions are held for the Women Self Help Groups of the town and prizes are given for the best group etc. The aim of this programme is to bring out the hidden strengths and capacities of the woman folk of the town.
Free Auto Services to the Hospital
* The Additional Primary Health Centre is located at approximately two kilometre away from the town, enroute to the CISF campus. As the beneficiaries are normally from the low income group of the town and they being the patients and mostly elders, necessity arose for their transportation to the hospital. Such absolute necessity was felt by the Chairman of the Panchayat, Shri S. Nagarajan who took the initiative and arranged for free auto services to the hospital. The auto services were started two years back and are available during the working hours of the hospital. The entire expenses for the auto services are borne by the Chairman himself. This noble act done purely on the humanitarian grounds has been appreciated by one and all.
* In August 2009 a blood donation camp was held in the CISF hospital where 507 volunteers donated their blood.
* Tri-cycles were given to a number of physically-challenged people.
* During the District Governors programme of Dawn to Dusk, a water motor was donated to the Government Boys Higher Secondary School, Thakkolam.
* Lighting facilities and provision of fan to the Government Elementary School were provided.
* In the place of prevailing vacancies in the posts of teachers in the Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Thakkolam certain trained graduates and post graduates were appointed for two years at the monthly salary of Rs 3000.
* An overhead tank was constructed in the Government Girls Higher Secondary School, Thakkolam.
Lions Club Members